Sunday, February 3, 2008

Groundhog Day

I hate hate hate winter and was so hoping the groundhog would tell us it's going to be an early spring this year. I guess it depends on which groundhog you believe in.
Punxsutawney Phil says 6 more weeks of winter.

"As I look around me, a bright sky I see, and a shadow beside me. Six more weeks of winter it will be."



But Shubenacadie Sam, the Canadian groundhog, predicted an early spring!



So what do we believe? Well, it seemed like good ol' Shubie was right because we had a beautiful sunny day yesterday after a week of whiteouts. But then we woke up today to another snowstorm, so I guess Punxsy is going to be the correct groundhog this year. =( Even so, we had a great day celebrating our furry friends.

We ate waffles for breakfast with cinnamon sugar on top to look like dirt (the place from which the groundhogs emerge)




Lydia wanted to get in the spirit by dressing like a groundhog. So we let her wear an outfit with animal ears. It kind of works right?





We ate pigs-in-blankets. Pigs are hogs...so groundhogs! Kind of a stretch yes.



And here are our creepy little groundhogs in dirt pie.






So even though there's a ginormous blizzard going on outside, we enjoyed our Groundhog Day!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

this whole idea was rebecca's..i can tell! it makes me miss the crazy nights in high school when you came up with all the fun things we did :) --christy

The Mid-Cart Parentals said...

Hmmmm...I'm really worried about the affects this long winter is having on you two!

Mindy and Marty said...

i still can't believe you celebrated that "holiday" or whatever you may call it...

Just Katy said...

I am totally with Shubenacadie Sam. The day after ground hog day the temperature shot up and we're hanging out in 70 degree whether. I think it's time for Phil to retire or get back to his roots, not let the fame get to his head. Just because he's an American celebrity he thinks he can get away with slacker work, just like American musicians. They're going to get nudged out by those Canadians if they're not careful.
Wow, I had no idea I had any opinion on this.

Steve Morrison said...

Congratulations on celebrating the second-most-overlooked holiday (after the Festival for the Souls of Dead Whales). It's important to recognize all that groundhogs have done for us. Lydia looks adorable in her pink rodent suit!

Diane Wright said...

I hope spring does come soon to get you two out of the house. Lydia, don't worry, you're parents will be OK once the sone comes out. Just hang in there.

love gma diane