Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Messy Days

We had several pots filled with dirt and failed flower seeds sitting on our front porch. I was tired of looking at evidence of my failure as a gardener, so I decided to dump the pots out and let Lydia play in the dirt.




She was more interested in stacking the flower pots, which was a good thing. I later found out that the dirt was filled with tiny splinters, a fact I didn't discover until I swept it away with my hand, and came away with a palm that would make a porcupine jealous. I'm still tweezing splinters out of my hand today.



After Lydia lost interest in stacking pots, I decided to make things even messier. I pulled out some paintbrushes and water so Lydia could "paint" the steps, door, and walls. Why didn't I think of this earlier? This is a genius idea- one given to me by my friend Jessica. Lydia "painted" happily for more than an hour. She never does ANYTHING for more than an hour.



And just so you know, I DO Lydia's hair every day. I promise. This particular day began with the cutest pigtails you've ever seen. But after teaching a gazillion piano students, I just don't feel like re-doing it. I understand if you're horrified. But I'm not going to change.

10 comments:

The McGraths said...

You are such a good mom! I am always impressed by how much you do with your lydibug! Keep it up woman!

Kings said...

ha, you crack me up. i know you do her hair... :) I see it.

Unknown said...

I would have never thought of "painting" with just water. This is something that I should've thought of!!

The Horners said...

Becca you're so funny. We need to get together one of these days and enjoy this great weather. You have such great ideas to keep lydia entertained. I will be coming back to your blog for some ideas when Olivia gets older!

Diane Wright said...

I remember giving a bucket of water and a paintbrush to the boys when they were little and I had them paint the fence. It's true, they were completely entertained. Dirt is also a great big holiday for kids. You can fill a wading pool with sand, add spoons and plastic dishes and watch the fun. I don't notice that Lydia's hair is frightening, only that her face is beautiful. I just love her.

Linda and Rex said...

You don't remember painting the back of the house in San Jose with water?

MaryAnne and Thayne said...

How fun are you! Will you be my mom!!

Peterson Family said...

Hi Rebecca, I found your blog from Sarah Bakers...hope you don't mind if I checked yours out! Lydia is getting so big!!!! And adorable!!!! You are so funny. I think doing Lydia's hair once a day is perfect! Hey, do you mind if I add your blog to mine?

Mindy and Marty said...

I am a failure too! lets talk about it and cry...i'm sick of worrying about it though and don't care what lives and dies anymore. HEY great idea with the paintbrush water thing!! thanks for passing it on!

harry potter....this weekend?

Rebecca said...

Victoria!

Please add my blog to yours! I would love to see yours too- will you send me an invite?
rebequita83{at}yahoo{dot}com