Sunday, May 31, 2009

Nursery

The day came today. The day for Lydia to enter Nursery at church (a Sunday School/playtime for 18 month to 3 year old children). How did she get so grown up? I so looked forward to this day as a day of liberation- a chance to attend my own Sunday School (minus the baby) and actually learn.

But, like all new stages, this one is bittersweet. When I dropped her off, she didn't look back. She jumped right into playtime. When I came to pick her up, she didn't run to me because she was having so much fun. Her teacher happily reported that there were no tears and she got along well with all the other children, playing happily.

I'm ecstatic of the good report. I'm grateful that she adjusted without a problem. I'm grateful for her easy going nature. But, even so, I can't help feeling...How can she be so happy without me? Where did she learn such independence? I know this is just a tiny drop in her gigantic pool of growing-up experiences, and I have many more bittersweet moments to come, but, wow, this is hard. In a good way.

I love my grown up Liddiebug.




7 comments:

Diane Wright said...

maybe the first time she get's bonked on the head she will look around to see where you are. You aren't totally indispensible yet. I promise.

Jessica Newman said...

They grow up so fast! On Mother's day Max sang with the primary for the first time. I could hardly believe it!

The Mid-Cart Parentals said...

Hurray for Nursery! Bittersweet indeed...next, the 1st day of kindergarten, baptism day, the 1st day of college (Jill gave us a quick hug at the MTC & turned around without looking back...ouch!) - All happy stuff & part of the plan!

Kings said...

oh my goodness! she is so grown up. I just love her.

Unknown said...

The 1st day of Nursery was a hard day for me too. Savannah ran right in, and didn't look back.
=( I remember feeling so unloved, but then I am so glad she is independent. It makes life easier in a lot of ways. ;)

The McGraths said...

That is so cute! So Big! Cori went good like Lydia but Jake... not so much! You may have more luck with your next! But it's no picnic! Yeah for Big Girls!!!

Vanessa said...

ok in that last picture she really does look grown up. just tell her to cut it out!! she needs to talk to Cameron, Abby never had a hard time going but Cameron really does.